Me, when I heard it..I can already smell Korea, the land of Kimchi,hehe...
KIMCHI 김치 is a traditional fermented Korean side dish made of vegetables with different variety of seasoning. In traditional preparation, Kimchi was fermented into jars for months at a time. Kimchi is the national dish of Korea and there are hundreds of varieties made in with a main vegetables ingredients such as nappa cabbage, radish, scallion and cucumbers. Kimchi was also the main ingredients of many Korean dishes such as kimchi stew(김치찌개 ; kimchi jjigae ), kimchi pancake (김치부침게 kimchijeon), kimchi soup (김칫국; kimchiguk), and kimchi fried rice (김치볶음밥; kimchi bokkeumbap).
It was documented that there are 187 historic and current varieties of kimchi.
List of common seasonings of Kimchi :
- spices, ginger
- chopped radish
- saeujeot / 새우젓, shrimp sauce
- aekjeot / 액젓, fish sauce
- baechu kimchi / 배추김치, napa cabbage kimchi
- baechu geotjeori / 배추겉절이, unfermented napa cabbage kimchi
- bossam kimchi / 보쌈김치
- baek kimchi / 백김치, white kimchi
- dongchimi / 동치미, water-based kimchi
- chonggak kimchi / 총각김치, young radish kimchi
- kkakdugi / 깍두기, daikon kimchi
- oisobagi / 오이소박이, cucumber kimchi
- pa kimchi / 파김치, green onion kimchi
- Prepare the ingredients. nappa cabbage, bay salt, radish, chives, mustard leaves, parsley, kimchi seasoning-pickled shrimps, hot pepper powder, pickled shrimp sauce or yellow corvina fich sauce, garlic, ginger
- Cutting of cabbage. Peel away the outer layer of the cabbage. Split them by your hand after cutting the roots in half.
- Salting of cabbage. Soak the cabbage in salted water and sprinkle the uncovered areas with salt. Preserve for 5 hours, turning cabbage over every so often to ensure the cabbage was soaked thoroughly. Afterwards rinse off the salted water and drain the remaining water by placing the cabbage into draining basket.
- Cutting other vegetables. Wash and cut the radish in Julienne- style into 2cm wide strips. Wash and cut chives, mustard leaves and parsley into 4cm wide strips.
- Prepare KIMCHI seasoning. Minced the pickled shrimp and leave the broth in the side. After marinating the hot pepper powder in warm water, add pickled shrimp sauce or pickled yellow corvina fish sauce. Then mixed the shredded radish and season with salt.
- Mixing of vegetables and seasoning. Mixed crushed garlic, crushed ginger, and pickled shrimp sauce. Then add the water parsley, mustard leaves and chives and then season with salt and sugar. You may oyster or shrimp according to your preference to complete the seasoning sauce for cabbage.
- Mix cabbage with kimchi seasoning. : Put kimchi seasoning in between each of the cabbage leaves and wrap the whole cabbage with the outer leaves.
- Wrap up. Place finished kimchi into the pot with the exposed, cut side facing upwards. Cover Kimchi with salted leaves.
For more information about Kimchi just click this links:
- History of Kimchi
- How Kimchi made by Regions in Korea
- What Kimchi that can be made by seasons
- Nutrition Facts
Photo Credit : Wikipedia
Credit Info : Wikipedia and ibuzzkorea.com